A brief "mission" statement about the tunes Megan contributed to the project (although Adam seems to feel similarly)...
All these tunes came to me by osmosis. Certainly recordings and personal interactions with Benny Thomasson, Dick Barrett, Lisa Barrett, and Herman Johnson played the largest roles in my knowledge and awareness of them, and to a lesser degree, Gary Lee Moore. However, I would say that the way I play them is largely my own creation. I learned them the way traditional tunes have been passed down since the beginning - by listening and absorbing. And then I played them and played them and thought about them and played them some more. And at the very moment they were captured on this album, this is exactly the way I wanted them to sound. Just like I play them. So at the risk of sounding self-indulgent and any number of other narcissistic adjectives, I am the main origin of the way I play and interpret all these wonderful tunes. And I am incredibly grateful to the aforementioned players for their help in discovering them in the first place.
Tunings and general sources for each of the tunes on Inside Out.
1. Tennessee Breakdown, from The Humdingers (originally recorded by Vance's Tennessee Breakdowners). Key of G: GDAE, gEADE
2. Cherry River Rag, from Ed Haley. Key of C: GDAE, gCGCD
3. Oyster River Hornpipe, from James Bryan. Key of G: GDAE, gDGDE
4. Blue Eagle, from Herman Johnson. Key of D: GDAE, aDADE
5. Stumptown Stomp, from Eck Robertson. Key of G: GDAE, gEADE
6. Dora Dean, from Ed Haley. Key of F: GDAE, fDGCD
7. Brandywine, from Kenny Baker. Key of G: GDAE, gEADE
8. Grigsby's Hornpipe, from Bruce Molsky and Eck Robertson. Key of A: AEAC#, aEAC#E
9. There's a Brown Skin Gal Down the Road Somewhere, from Eck Robertson. Key of G: GDAE, gEADE
10. Bumblebee in the Gourdvine, from Benny Thomasson. Key of A: AEAC#, aEAC#E
11. Tugboat, from Benny Thomasson. Key of G: GDAE, gEADE
12. Natchez Under the Hill, from Dick Barrett and Herman Johnson. Key of A: GDAE, aEAC#E
13. Brickyard Joe, from Doc Roberts. Key of G: GDAE, gEADE
14. East Tennessee Blues, from Charlie Bowman. Key of C: GDAE, gCGCD
15. Cowhide Boots, from Lyman Enloe. Key of G: GDAE, gEADE